Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default Star drill?

On Oct 7, 8:01?am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You are also going to have difficulty making any where near as clean and
straight hole as with a rotary hammer

"RicodJour" wrote in message

s.com...

On Oct 7, 12:34 am, willshak wrote:
on 10/6/2007 11:48 PM RicodJour said the following:

On Oct 6, 11:28 pm, willshak wrote:

on 10/6/2007 10:55 PM Steve Barker LT said the following:

You need to rent or purchase a good hammer drill. You also may be
encountering rebar.

No rebar. I'm drilling 3/4" diameter holes 2" deep in a poured
concrete
sidewalk around my pool. The holes are to attach a mesh winter cover
on
my inground pool.

{snip}
When I first start the drill, I can see the crushed concrete powder
coming out and forming a ridge around the hole. All of a sudden the
powder stops building and I can hear the drill bit kinda bouncing over
something. The bit never stops turning, it just stops cutting.
I wash out the hole and look in. The aggregate filler in this concrete
is small roundish pebbles, about the size of a green pea up to a lima
bean size with colors of yellow, orange, grey, or whitish. I may see
parts of one, or two, or maybe three pebbles intruding in the hole,
the
tops of which look sanded from the drill rather than cut. At this time
take the small sledge and a 12" long steel tapered flat nosed punch
with
a 1/4" wide tip and try to crack the pebbles into smaller pieces that
the drill bit can handle. I think that the 3/4" hand tool star drill
can
do a better job of cracking the pebbles with fewer blows since the
star
drill will completely fill the hole and may crack two or more pebbles
with one blow.

The hammer drill (or better yet, rotary hammer) is one of the more
indispensable tools - there's nothing that works even remotely as
well. Your question is vaguely akin to someone asking which is the
best brand of screwdriver to use as a chisel, 'cepting a screwdriver
is a lot closer to a chisel substitute.

I don't see the analogy about using a screwdriver as a chisel when the
hand tool I was asking about is used for the purpose for which it was
made.

Hence the 'vaguely akin'. I was going to go with the 'asking for help
selecting a horse drawn buggy' analogy, but I thought I'd stick to
tools.

Not sure why your Google search turned up dead ends. When I Googled
"star drill" it came up with a bunch of hits - Ace Hardware has them
and eBay as well.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-dasco-...i-1292223.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/Enders-3-4-star-...chisel-used_W0...

You'll be spending $10 or $20 on something you'll probably never use
again and it's going to take you far more time to do the drilling.
Your time, your money.

R- Hide quoted text -

harbor freight sells a hammer drill for 60 bucks bits a little more. a
great price for a occasional need tool.

star drills work but can take hours, hammer drill can do the same job
better in 5 minutes...

plus you have the tool for the next time you need a hole, or have
other jobs. the chisel bit is wonderful, used it once to hrak up a big
rock in my yard when planting some stuff.