Posted to alt.home.repair

Default going out or going up

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?

Going out means
more roof to replace.
more roof area for heat to escape
possible issues of property line
easier gutter cleaning
easier painting
less ladder work

Going up means
possible structural issues to support the second floor
some time of no occupancy with no roof
easier to heat
marginally harder to cool
stairs to take up space and to climb (big factor when you get older)
laundry to cart up and down unless you move the laundry up also
more privacy for bedrooms from living area

My wife and I are both in our 60's now and thinking that it could be better
to move to a one story.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/