Posted to alt.home.repair

Default going out or going up

So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 5:12 PM Smitty Two said the following:
So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?

First, what is the setback required in her area ( how far in from the
property line can you build)? Check with the local Building department.
That might eliminate going out.
Also, is this addition going to be used for everyone that visits
(sunroom, family room, etc.), or a private area (bedroom, study, sewing
room, etc.) ? If the former, probably the main floor, If the latter,
probably the second floor.
As I get older, I don't like climbing stairs as much, so my opinion
doesn't hold for everyone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

Her back yard is plenty big enough to go that way. If she does, it would
mean a larger family room, more like a great room, and bigger master and
kid bedrooms by moving around some interior walls. If she goes up,
probably put the master suite up there - still leaving more ground floor
room for other uses - and again making kids' rooms and common areas
larger. This is not a mansion. We're talking about increasing 1200 sq.
ft. to about 1800, and using what's there more efficiently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 4:12 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?

Your construction costs will be dramatically higher adding first floor
square footage as opposed to building upward. Foundations, even
slabs, are expensive. The big factor here is whether or not the
current one story structure can support a second story. Your local
building department can give you the specifics on what is required.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

Way too many variables to give good advice long distance. Can't see the
house from here to see if the existing structure can handle another floor,
and can't see the neighborhood to see if what you are proposing would be too
much house for the neighborhood, and thus unlikely to pay back at resale. I
strongly recommend you hire a good residential designer to come by for a
walkthrough. (Assuming your area doesn't require architects for residential
work, as some overcivilized areas do.) An initial consult will only cost a
couple hundred bucks, and is usually counted toward final fee if you have
him do the building blueprints and materials takeoffs. Don't just look in
phone book- talk to everyone you know in the area that had design work
(custom houses too, not just remodels), and ask who they used. The best 2 or
3 guys in the area will keep popping up. The good ones don't advertise much-
word of mouth gets them all the work they can handle. A good designer will
be able to tell in a few minutes what is possible or practical to do to the
existing structure.

But having said that- all else being equal, I would tend to favor expanding
out, not up, especially if you will be doing some of the work yourself,
and/or the house will be occupied during construction. It is a lot easier to
FUBAR a second-story addition, and much more of the original footprint of
house is disrupted at once. A good designer will be able to walk you through
all the pros and cons, and local codes and such that apply. (Which brings up
another point- check your deed for any CCRs that may limit height and
footprint and styles and such. Even in non-HOA areas, there are sometimes
still restrictions.)

But as to your original question of HVAC efficency- Probably not much
difference, as long as the furnace is reconfigured properly. 2-story houses
tend to be a lot harder to balance- just search this group on Google for
'upstairs is too hot'.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 5:53 PM Smitty Two said the following:
In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

Some will not agree with me, but you might consider a pre-manufactured
addition. The construction time will be much shorter than a stick built
addition for about the same cost.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 5:12 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?

I think aemeijers makes a good point when suggesting an architect or
designer look at the pro
blem. There is a lot more to adding on than the cost of roof or the
efficiency of a heating system. The final result has to meet a lot of
limits and solve a lot of problems - from capacity of existing heating
and power to legal limits to appearance to function.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?

Going out means
more roof to replace.
more roof area for heat to escape
possible issues of property line
easier gutter cleaning
easier painting
less ladder work

Going up means
possible structural issues to support the second floor
some time of no occupancy with no roof
easier to heat
marginally harder to cool
stairs to take up space and to climb (big factor when you get older)
laundry to cart up and down unless you move the laundry up also
more privacy for bedrooms from living area

My wife and I are both in our 60's now and thinking that it could be better
to move to a one story.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
"aemeijers" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

Ah, stupid me. I never considered the "living in it while it's
happening" issue. That's certainly one major advantage to staying on the
ground. She did have a few possible plans drawn up a couple of years ago
by a designer, but that was before I came along and started talking
second floor, which would be my aesthetic and lifestyle preference.

When she gets serious about this we'll definitely hire the consultants
and do the homework. I'm sure we're not talking about CC&Rs in her area,
but as you and others mentioned, cost factors and structural concerns
are certainly issues to address.

Thanks to all for giving us more puzzle pieces to ponder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article
,
"aemeijers" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

I have gone through the living in it while it's happening thing and it's no
fun. It's like living in a construction site either way. I suggest you
rent or trailor and live in it for six months or a year (or even buy it),
will keep your sanity to be away from it. The dust, noise, everything is
just unbearable.

MC