Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
willshak willshak is offline

Default Star drill?

on 10/6/2007 5:54 PM Glenn said the following:
Obviously you have never used a star drill.

Obviously, you don't know anything about me.

Forget it. You will use the electric drill only, after about 15 min
of pounding on the star drill. Maybe you are pushing it too hard. I
usually drilled a 1/4" hole and then drilled it out bigger with the
1/2" or whatever.

"willshak" wrote in message
X-posted to other relevant group.

Before there were concrete drill bits, or electric drills for that
matter, small round holes in concrete or rock were made by a round
chisel type tool that was pounded into the stone with a small sledge
hammer while turning the tool. It might have been 8" or 10" long. The
face of this chisel had a star-like pattern, only with 4 points, like
a plus sign " + ". I believe it was called a star drill.
A Google search brings up a lot of sports drills (training regimen).
Anyone know if they still make them, or if so, where to get one on-line?
I'm trying to drill some 40 - 3/4" holes in concrete and my 1/2"
corded electric drill with a concrete bit stalls on the stone
aggregate in the concrete requiring me to stop and try to crack the
aggregate with a large punch. I figured a star drill would work better.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill