Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

"Slacker" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:47:51 -0700, wrote:

Andy Rooney once got a sample of RainX and said "No product could do
what it claimed"...he had to apologize on another 60 minutes broadcast.

I can't find any reference to this "Andy Rooney" apologizing about
"Rain-X"
in the entire web.

The closest I could find was this very tough to read law paper which
discusses Andy Rooney and Rain-X in the footnotes but nowhere else.
http://law.fordham.edu/publications/...flspub6663.pdf

Can someone cite a reference?

No Andy Rooney references, but I can say that RainX does work when first
applied, at least. But the glass has gotta be clean (and this is the step
most people apparently skip), you have to buff it out after applying, to
remove the excess. Once when visiting my sister and BIL, as I was packing up
for the long drive home, he was trying to be nice and insisted on doing my
windshield. (a storm was brewing, etc...) Well, for my sister's sake, I let
him do it, and to my surprise it has actually worked and held up pretty
well. I had tried it several years before, and had the same experience
others reported, of smears. Of course, this car spends most of its time
parked in garage, so my experience may not be typical. (I drive the beater
minivan around town, and only use the 'good' car for road trips.)

aem sends....