Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default going out or going up

on 10/6/2007 5:12 PM Smitty Two said the following:
So let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that the g.f. wanted to add
some square footage to her house. What are the considerations involved
in choosing between adding a second story, and cutting down on the
amount of lawn she needs to mow?

One factor we had disagreed about is the heating and cooling costs.
Seems to me that for a given total square footage, two story is better,
but she says she's heard otherwise.

I'm guessing there's no hard and fast rules, and surely personal
preference and lifestyle play a significant role, but what about
construction costs, maintenance issues, etc.?

First, what is the setback required in her area ( how far in from the
property line can you build)? Check with the local Building department.
That might eliminate going out.
Also, is this addition going to be used for everyone that visits
(sunroom, family room, etc.), or a private area (bedroom, study, sewing
room, etc.) ? If the former, probably the main floor, If the latter,
probably the second floor.
As I get older, I don't like climbing stairs as much, so my opinion
doesn't hold for everyone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY