Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default When the student is ready the teacher appears

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:59:08 -0600, "Greg Lyman"
wrote:

"tww" wrote in message
ups.com...

Some great tips in response to a great question.

Here is one that is sure to bring out the "if you can smell it, it's too
dangerous to use" crowd, but it sure works well for me and I choose to
assume the associated risks for the benefits.

I turn a lot of Walnut wet and dry and usually end up with black hands at
the end of a day in the shop. No amount of detergent or scrubbing gets it
all off. I discovered that a little household bleach on a wet rag is a
quick and most effective way to get clean. I then immediately wash
thoroughly with detergent and warm water to get the bleach off which
contains sodium hypochlorite.

This may not be advisable for people with sensitive skin or those who may
feel it is an unsafe practice based upon label and/or MSDS warnings. But I
spoke with a Dermatologist about it and she said that she regularly uses
household bleach topically in treating certain skin infections and
disorders. Her advice was in essence if it does not irritate your skin it
is okay. She expressed a greater concern about the consequences of not
getting the black oil off my hands. Her opinion was that the potential to
develop skin problems from the wood oil, acids and whatever else may be in
the "black juice," was greater than periodically using a dilute bleach
mixture followed by a thorough rinsing.

It's so nice to have clean hands.

Kerosine and a piece of scotchbrite works pretty well, too.