Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Default Moss algae removal

clot wrote:
ste wrote:
clot wrote:
fred wrote:
clot wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

On paint work?

I doubt that it would do much harm to the paintwork. You only need a
very dilute solution to kill the algae.

I could try a diluted solution, thanks.

It's literally only a few parts per million to do its magic. It was a
technique that was used by water utilities to kill off irregular and
rare algal blooms in raw water reservoirs. Such blooms could cause havoc
to the treatment process and allow organic residues into the water mains
that would then act as food to wonderful little creatures that folk do
not like to see in their glass of refreshing cold water! I doubt that it
is in common use today. Environmentalists for one got upset that it was
affecting the "natural" ecology of the reservoirs by killing off food
for the invertebrates that in turn fed the fish that in turn fed the
otters and birds.They seem to forget the fact that the reservoirs were
built to supply water for man!

Seriously, apply and leave for a couple of days and then get on with
cleaning it!

Good luck.

Interesting, a few years ago we could smell and taste bleach in our tap
water and i phoned the local water authority for an explanation, they
said because of the hot whether they add more chlorine into the water
system to combat bacteria, but at that time we had a sudden cold spell
so the added Chlorine was unneeded which is why we could taste it, we
have used a water filter since and drink purer water allegedly anyway.

However I'll have a go at the caravan, although i probably could have
used that Chlorine water to clean the van with.

cheers

ste