Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Measuring power consumption of immersion heater?

In article .com,
writes:
On 6 Oct, 09:23, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article . com,
writes:

On 5 Oct, 23:51, Rumble wrote:
wrote:

snip

When you measure the power factor, are you measuring it for the device
in question, or are you measuring the average for the neighbourhood?
A plug-in device can only measure it for the load running through it.

Are you suggesting it somehow compensates for the power factor of the
supply automatically?

Is this a trick question? The supply doesn't have a power factor; only
the load has a power factor.

It wasn't supposed to be a trick question. The supply has a power
factor by definition.

In which case you'll have to give your definition, because it
is meaningless with the standard definition of power factor.

Well, it's not _my_ definition it's _the_ definition. Perhaps you
could Google for one?

I am very familiar with the standard definition which applies
to loads, having designed and built a true power meter myself
some 25 years ago, and having explained power factor many times
here over the years.

You'll have to point out a definition of power factor of a
supply, as that's not covered by the standard definition.
Google draws a blank too. The only related thing I could think
of would be a measure of the worse power factor load a particular
supply can drive, but even that's meaningless as supplies
are rated in [k]VA and in many cases can handle worst case
loads with a PF of zero.

--
Andrew Gabriel