Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Hanging a heavy mirror on a plaster board wall

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:48:58 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Paul wrote:

On 5 Oct, 16:04, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Paul wrote:
SWMBO has purchased a 4'X3' oak-framed mirror and wants it to hang on
a plaster board wall. It weighs 20Kg.
The mirror has two mounting brackets on the back which I would
describe as a rectangular steel plate screwed to the back of the
mirror with a D-shaped 'buckle' hanging off it (apologies, can't find
it on Screwfix site to get its proper name). Can I put two large
screws with spring toggles, or similar, into the wall and just suspend
the mirror off those?

Have you thought of Velcro?
I used heavy duty Velcro to fix a very large mirror on tiles
above the sink in my bathroom.

I can honestly say that scares the crap out of me.

AOL

I've used Velcro for some serious work, including securing things under
high-g. It's OK for limited uses, but over time the glue softens and the
adhesion of pressure sensitive tape to cementitious materials
is ..ummm.. 'poor'.

Same goes for glass and sound painted metal surfaces etc after about
18 months depending on the temperature.

Think what happens to cable tie bases after a few years. The inside of
some of our equipment after ~5 years in service is something *not* to
behold. 8-(

DG