Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Hanging a heavy mirror on a plaster board wall

On 5 Oct, 13:47, David in Normandy wrote:
In article . com, Paul
says... SWMBO has purchased a 4'X3' oak-framed mirror and wants it to hang on
a plaster board wall. It weighs 20Kg.
The mirror has two mounting brackets on the back which I would
describe as a rectangular steel plate screwed to the back of the
mirror with a D-shaped 'buckle' hanging off it (apologies, can't find
it on Screwfix site to get its proper name). Can I put two large
screws with spring toggles, or similar, into the wall and just suspend
the mirror off those?

thanks,
Paul.

I can foresee you being woken up in the early hours one morning thinking
you've got a burglar, then discovering you've got 7 years bad luck
instead!

If I were you I'd try to find the studding timbers and either fix
directly to those, or fix a metal strap between the upright timbers and
attach the mirror to the strap. The strap would not be visible as it
would be hidden behind the top of the mirror. Don't use anything too
thick though or it will hold the mirror too far away from the wall and
look odd.

With a similar mirror in our house I was able to fasten a strong steel
screw hook directly into a ceiling beam, but we have exposed oak beams
anyway which modern houses lack.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating

Talking about getting it flush, sometimes as with kitchen cabinets,
folks cut out a rectangle of PB and replace with ply, and BYU (bobs
your uncle).
You need to check it's not PB on a solid wall with dot and dab, If so,
long screws right into the wall.
Simon.