Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control?

According to James Sweet :

wrote in message
ups.com...

[ ... ]

Plus the collets are brass and wear out in no time.

Ouch!

Good for a one or
two time use project, no substitute for a pneumatic die grinder.
Bearings suck on them, too. Whadda ya want for $6 anyway? Spend a
couple of bucks more and get the mini-pneumatic die grinder. Some of
the ones I have accept Foredom collets, too.

[ ... ]

Well you need an air compressor for one of those, a tool relatively few
people own.

I certainly do. :-)

Hmm ... this is cross-posted to the following newsgroups:

sci.electronics.basics
sci.electronics.repair
rec.crafts.metalworking
alt.engineering.electrical

Of those, the third (rec.crafts.metalworking) is likely to have a very
*high* percentage of readers who own an air compressor. The reply
suggesting a pneumatic die grinder probably came from someone in RCM who
did not notice the other newsgroups in the cross-posting, so it was
reasonable to expect that an air compressor would be present.

I use a pneumatic die grinder occasionally, but it's louder than
my Dremel and it spews out a bit of oil in use.

I forget what the application was for the Dremel (somewhere
upthread) so I don't know whether the oil is a problem or not. If
working on metal, I would suggest that the oil is probably a benefit,
not a problem.

If oil is a problem, I would second the suggestion for a
Foredom. Note that not only does it have a fairly hefty flexible shaft,
but for smaller tools (e;g. what a Dremel would be comfortable driving)
there is a handpiece with a short very flexible shaft just before it
which makes precise hand control a lot easier.

I use an ancient Foredom with the extra flexible handpiece for
tuning English concertina reeds, with a Dremel foot pedal for speed
control, from a near total stop (needed on the tiny reeds at the upper
end of the collection in a typical concertina) to near full speed (for
the lowest pitch reeds).

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564