Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation,alt.engineering.electrical
Long Ranger Long Ranger is offline

Default How to wire up a RS-150BA-N Vacancy Sensor Switch with Nightlight and Manual On/Off

"Noozer" wrote in message

"OneSolution" wrote in message
How can I wire this light switch that expects three wires but I have only
two coming from my circular flourescent ceiling light?

I bought the Legrand "WattStopper RS-150BA-N Vacancy Sensor Switch with
Nightlight and Manual on/off" whose specifications say it's for a "single
pole circuit", 120V/60hz, 1/6HP fan, 0-600 watt incandescent or
flourescent
light.

The switch has four (4) wires labelled
1. black = hot
2. white = neutral
3. red = load
4. green = ground

The instructions say
a. Connect the green wire on the switch to bare wire ground (if any)
b. Connect the white wire on the switch to the "neutral wire"
c. Connect the black wire on the switch to the "power wire"
d. Connect the red wire on the switch to the "load"

The problem is the box in the wall has only two wires.
1. black
2. white

If you only have one black and one white, you won't be able to put your
new sensor here.

The black is always on and is the power. The white is what is switched on
and off and is the load.

Going by the NEC, the white is the feed to the switch, and the black feeds
the load. You are not allowed to use a white wire to carry the "hot" at the
point of consumption.