Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
L.A.T. L.A.T. is offline

Default The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Yukio YANO"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Franc Zabkar"

The November 2007 issue of Australian PC Authority has an article on
"band aid" fixes for PC problems.

In a section entitled "The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix", the author
writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

** Bit of an odd way of describing a detached shadow mask inside the
CRT.

Sounds more like a Degaussing problem to me with "Large discolored
patches.

** No way thumping the CRT will ever fix that.

The Shaking image is likely due to a transient 60 cycle field from a
nearby Fan or a transformer.

** Transient 60 Hz field ??

Like when a transformer wings on past - right ??

Hitting the side of the case will always solve the problem. If you hit it
hard enough! Just protect yourself from the flying glass.

...... Phil

I thought it was called Percussive Maintenance.