Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

The November 2007 issue of Australian PC Authority has an article on
"band aid" fixes for PC problems.

In a section entitled "The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix", the author
writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar"

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

** Bit of an odd way of describing a detached shadow mask inside the CRT.

........ Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar"

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

** Bit of an odd way of describing a detached shadow mask inside the CRT.

Sounds more like a Degaussing problem to me with "Large discolored
patches. The Shaking image is likely due to a transient 60 cycle field
from a nearby Fan or a transformer. Hitting the side of the case will
always solve the problem. If you hit it hard enough! Just protect
yourself from the flying glass.

Yukio YANO
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar"

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

** Bit of an odd way of describing a detached shadow mask inside the
CRT.

Sounds more like a Degaussing problem to me with "Large discolored
patches.

** No way thumping the CRT will ever fix that.

The Shaking image is likely due to a transient 60 cycle field from a
nearby Fan or a transformer.

** Transient 60 Hz field ??

Like when a transformer wings on past - right ??

Hitting the side of the case will always solve the problem. If you hit it
hard enough! Just protect yourself from the flying glass.

** ******.

....... Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Franc Zabkar"

writes:

[...]

I thought it was called Percussive Maintenance.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

The subject line sounds like a good name for a bad Sci-Fi movie. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

So Franc, how do you suppose the three beams find their respective phosphors
after such a shake?

I have, however, seen mechanical stress reveal bad solder joints.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 03:30:10 GMT, "Lord Garth"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

So Franc, how do you suppose the three beams find their respective phosphors
after such a shake?

I'd suspect that the phosphors would be randomly scattered, probably
at the bottom of the glass, in which case the monitor would need to be
returned to the factory so that they could be glued back on.

I have, however, seen mechanical stress reveal bad solder joints.

Every real tech recognises the merits of a tap test. However, I've
never had to hit a CRT hard enough to dislodge its phosphors.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

So Franc, how do you suppose the three beams find their respective

phosphors
after such a shake?

I'd suspect that the phosphors would be randomly scattered, probably
at the bottom of the glass, in which case the monitor would need to be
returned to the factory so that they could be glued back on.

I have, however, seen mechanical stress reveal bad solder joints.

Every real tech recognises the merits of a tap test. However, I've
never had to hit a CRT hard enough to dislodge its phosphors.

So why pass on poor information such as the above 'good hard whack '?

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

It was supposed to be funny..

Mike

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:28:10 -0500, "Lord Garth"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

.. .

writes:

[...]

I passed on this disinformation so that we could all have a laugh. I
never expected that any genuine technician would see it as anything
else. Presumably we're all real techs here, not PC board jockeys.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:28:10 -0500, "Lord Garth"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

. ..

writes:

[...]

Never mind.
There is a sort of cosmic synchronicity on this newsgroup whereby the posts
that are meant to be funny are often taken seriously and many plonkingly
serious posts are inadvertently hilarious.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Yukio YANO"

The Shaking image is likely due to a transient 60 cycle field from a
nearby Fan or a transformer.

** Transient 60 Hz field ??

Like when a transformer wings on past - right ??

Actually it was due to a large Blower-Fan motor in the Lab next door, I
would guess that the fields would vary with the load on the fan.

I now look in the labs, above, below, behind and beside the Monitors in
question. The real solution is a LCD monitor, That is the only solution
in a room with Huge magnets for Mass Spectrometers and NMR work !!

I first saw the transformer effect working on a Commodore Pet computer,
It took a few minutes to solve until I realized why the problem would
go away when I propped open the cabinet to see if I could see the problem.

Yukio

Hitting the side of the case will always solve the problem. If you hit it
hard enough! Just protect yourself from the flying glass.

** ******.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Best to pick up & shake the whole monitor it re-mixes the fish oils in
the capacitors and restores everything .

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message

So why pass on poor information such as the above 'good hard whack '?

I passed on this disinformation so that we could all have a laugh. I
never expected that any genuine technician would see it as anything
else. Presumably we're all real techs here, not PC board jockeys.

It had to be but someone might take it seriously. I'd have added a ;-)
on the end if I was kidding about.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken G." wrote in message
Best to pick up & shake the whole monitor it re-mixes the fish oils in
the capacitors and restores everything .

you mean Snake Oils right??