Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default used liquid dish soap in dishwasher; now it's sudsing all over the floor!

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:36:40 GMT, "mosbysmom" u37944@uwe wrote:

Used liquid dish soap in dishwasher; my teenager put liquid dawn dishwashing
soap in my dishwasher; now it's sudsing all over the floor.
What should I do to clean it out? Is the dishwasher ruined??

When I first moved in here, I had no dishwasher soap, so I used Tide
or some clothes washing soap. Then I went out for a while and when I
got home there were suds over much of the kitchen floor. It was like
an I Love Lucy episode.

Since it had completed the cycle, all or almost all of the soap was
gone, washed away during the rinse cycle. So I didn't do anything.
After all it's just soap. Any little bit that might be left in the
dishwasher will help to wash the dishes the next time.

I guess I wiped up the bubbles on the floor, but there is very little
water in a bubble.

If yours completed the cycle, almost all or all of the soap is gone
already. I wouldn't do anything.

Real soap makes suds by its very nature. What I've been calling soap
is probably a non-soap detergent. Most detergents don't make any suds
by their nature, but they didn't sell well -- people wanted to see
suds and they use the amount of suds as a measure of whether they have
added the right amount of detergent -- so the manufacturers put in
something to cause suds in clothes and sink-dishwashing detergent.
I'm sure they didn't put it in dishwasher detergent. So there is no
relationship between the amount of suds and the amount of dishwasher
detergent. So there is no reason to think that the dishwasher was
given more detergent than it is designed for, or that the detergent
has not been used and used up during the cycle. The only thing
different is that there were suds. Maybe the suds interfered with the
water spray inside the dishwasher, but I doubt it and in my case, all
the dishes were clean and that's all that matters.

So there was no need to do anything. Probably the same for you.