Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Not Gimpy Anymore Not Gimpy Anymore is offline

Default Does your shop comply with fire safety codes?

"George Max" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:18:38 -0700, robo hippy
wrote:

The first thing the insurance company will ask is do you have dust
collection. The second is do you have a smoke alarm. The third is
where is the fire extinguisher. The forth is where is the flamable
liquids cabinet. I have been turned down by several companies because
I don't have a sprinkler system. Also like Fred said, most home owners
insurance will not cover wood shops, or only minimally, especially if
you sell some stuff. You don't have to be professional, you can be a
hobbyiest who sells some things to help support your habbit. Some home
owners insurance companies will cancel you outright if they find out
you have a wood shop. The AAW insurance covers you for woodturning
only.
robo hippy

What good is homeowners insurance?

Hear me out. I'm starting to get the distinct impression that so many
things are becoming excluded, that it's really not so long before one
might say "what's the point?" and simply go without.

Several years ago, maybe 15, American Family discontinued the sewer
backup part of my insurance. Then the part about pouring anything
that causes environmental problems down a drain. Or on the ground I
suppose. Then the mold exclusions. I read that people that make a
few claims are routinely dropped. And water damage. I've read that
they'll go so far as to note that a particular house has had claims of
that nature and after that, NO insurance company will cover it.

Then in the local paper (Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel) they had a story
about a woman with a fairly old dog (it looked like a little spaniel
of some kind) of about 10 or 12 years, bit someone in response to
being kicked. Now the insurance company insists that the dog be put
down or they'll refuse to renew. And they want proof. Giving the dog
away doesn't work to satisfy them. They think the dog might come back
to that house. So says the story.

Then there's all the shenanigans in the hurricane prone areas of the
country.

I mean, really, what's it coming to? I buy insurance to cover me for
the events that happen that cause enough damage or loss that I can't
pay for myself. A fire, a storm that trashes my roof, maybe a
burglary.

In my opinion, they're in the business of assuming risk. They should
just suck it up and realize that bad things happen. They know the
odds. Set the rates accordingly.

And no, I don't sell my stuff, but I do plenty of woodworking.
Obviously lots of flammable stuff around here. Piles of wood and some
finishes.

Howdy - Short time reader, first time poster.

Can't agree more heartily!!! My take is that the business has shifted
from ASSUMING risk, to trying to MANAGE risk, which means cut out
anything you know, or even suspect, to have associated risk....
Further, at least here in Texas, the state Insurance Board does NOTHING
to help the consumer - it's all about how much influence the larger
companies
buy them off.... No value at all (Please don't let me get started...)

The ONLY reason I carry insurance is because my mortgage company
insists - if I had no mortgage, I'd have no insurance.... Might regret it at
some
point, but that's MY philosophy....

MHO,
NGA