Posted to alt.home.repair
DT[_2_] DT[_2_] is offline

Default No radiator in bathroom?

Hi,

I'm remodeling a bathroom which has a single window and a radiator
under a counter and not near a window. I'm told that this location for
the radiator is highly inefficient to begin with. The bathroom is
small and there's no opportunity to move the radiator to the window...
(Finally, I'll have heated tile and towel warmers, not that
these can make any overall temperature difference.)

I installed a Sun Touch electric mat from Lowes under my marble bathroom floor.
Although they state it is not designed to provide the only means heat to the
room, it certainly helps. I keep it at 80 degrees F and it is luxurious to walk
on, and you can easily feel the radiant heat. I keep the warm air register in
the room nearly closed.

I used a 2' x 12' mat in a 5' x 7' floor area and it works great. The backing
can be cut (not the heating wires) and reconfigured, so it fit the room quite
nicely once folded. They state it provides 12 watts, or 40 btus, per square
foot of mat.

--
Dennis