Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No radiator in bathroom?

Hi,

I'm remodeling a bathroom which has a single window and a radiator
under a counter and not near a window. I'm told that this location for
the radiator is highly inefficient to begin with. The bathroom is
small and there's no opportunity to move the radiator to the window.

As part of remodeling, we will have a door that connects the bathroom
to the master bedroom. The master bedroom has two radiators which
produce more than enough heat to heat the room.

I'm thinking of removing the radiator entirely and rely on A. the
radiators in the adjacent bedroom and a newly installed overhead
heater such as this Panasonic (search for B000F7P3DC on Google or
Amazon). (Finally, I'll have heated tile and towel warmers, not that
these can make any overall temperature difference.)

To this idea of having no radiator in the bathroom, some contractors
react "sure, why not" while others say "bad idea and bad for resale
value". I would like to hear opinions for the experts in this
newsgroup.

Thank you,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 2:02?am, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

cold bathrooms are the pits I grew up with one

how about a kick plate one under the vanity? ir add a electric heater
thats often part of a fan,,,,,,,

easiest to do during remodel, adds little cost to current job and
prevents hassles at resale time.

I would get the opinon of a HVAC contractor.......

are you opening and insulating all wals and cielings in that bath
area? using closed cell foam would help. R 6 per inch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You need a heat source in the bathroom. The MBR radiator won't do too
much when the bathroom door is shut (don't plan on showering with the
bathroom door open even if the vent fan is on - all that moisture does
very bad things to a house).

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that heated tile and
towel warmers won't make an overall temperature difference. Electric
radiant heat under the tile is an excellent way to go. The heat is
mild and even with no hot spots so you forget the heat is on, but it
certainly is enough to heat a room by itself if you've sized it
correctly. Some manufacturers make lower wattage mats that are more
of a supplemental heat source, but others make stand alone mats.
There's nothing quite like stepping onto a warm floor on a cold
morning. It really is a great feeling and the electric mats do a
great job of keeping the room warm. Here's one source that uses 15
watts/SF: http://www.warmlyyours.com/professio.../tempzone.aspx

The heated towel racks are less efficient at heating the room and
people frequently leave insulation draped over them (towels), further
reducing the efficiency.

The kickspace blower heaters also work well in adding heat, but I
don't like the warmed air blowing on my feet. They also tend to
attract and blow around dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

how about a kick plate one under the vanity? ir add a electric heater
thats often part of a fan,,,,,,,

Or just put in a small underfloor radiant heat system. Works for tile or carpet,
not sure about vinyl. Something like http://www.warmlyyours.com/

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 9:34 am, Rick Blaine wrote:
" wrote:
how about a kick plate one under the vanity? ir add a electric heater
thats often part of a fan,,,,,,,

Or just put in a small underfloor radiant heat system. Works for tile or carpet,
not sure about vinyl. Something likehttp://www.warmlyyours.com/

I've been told that an underfloor radiant systems is effective only if
the floor surface area is suffiently large. Mine will be _minimal -
2''x10' strip so I think this may not be a good option for me. What's
your opinion?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
" wrote:
how about a kick plate one under the vanity? ir add a electric heater
thats often part of a fan,,,,,,,

Or just put in a small underfloor radiant heat system. Works for tile or
carpet,
not sure about vinyl. Something likehttp://www.warmlyyours.com/

I've been told that an underfloor radiant systems is effective only if
the floor surface area is suffiently large. Mine will be _minimal -
2''x10' strip so I think this may not be a good option for me. What's
your opinion?

Thank you.

If it is only 2" no, it won't work. If you mean 2', maybe.

More important is hte Btu output. There are also ceiling units and wall
units that may be better suited.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:02:17 +0000, Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

As long as you are remodeling the bath, consider radiant floor heat.
There are electric pads which can easily be embedded beneath tile. The
floor would always be warm and comfortable. Wouldn't necessarily be
expensive to run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

I'm remodeling a bathroom which has a single window and a radiator
under a counter and not near a window. I'm told that this location for
the radiator is highly inefficient to begin with. The bathroom is
small and there's no opportunity to move the radiator to the window...
(Finally, I'll have heated tile and towel warmers, not that
these can make any overall temperature difference.)

I installed a Sun Touch electric mat from Lowes under my marble bathroom floor.
Although they state it is not designed to provide the only means heat to the
room, it certainly helps. I keep it at 80 degrees F and it is luxurious to walk
on, and you can easily feel the radiant heat. I keep the warm air register in
the room nearly closed.

I used a 2' x 12' mat in a 5' x 7' floor area and it works great. The backing
can be cut (not the heating wires) and reconfigured, so it fit the room quite
nicely once folded. They state it provides 12 watts, or 40 btus, per square
foot of mat.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Oct, 02:02, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

This video is entitled "Installing a Towel Warmer" but when I watched
the episode, Rich Trethewey kept calling it a radiator, and was in
fact replacing a floor mounted radiator with this wall mounted unit.
At the end, the home owner said "and it doubles as a towel warmer."

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...639335,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
This video is entitled "Installing a Towel Warmer" but when I watched
the episode, Rich Trethewey kept calling it a radiator, and was in
fact replacing a floor mounted radiator with this wall mounted unit.
At the end, the home owner said "and it doubles as a towel warmer."

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...639335,00.html

I guess you can use the term interchangeably as a towel warmer will radiate
heat. The question is, though, does it give off enough heat? I've stayed
in hotels in Europe where the towel warmer was the heat source in the
bathroom. Most were a grid layout of tubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Oct, 13:38, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
This video is entitled "Installing a Towel Warmer" but when I watched
the episode, Rich Trethewey kept calling it a radiator, and was in
fact replacing a floor mounted radiator with this wall mounted unit.
At the end, the home owner said "and it doubles as a towel warmer."

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...639335,00.html

I guess you can use the term interchangeably as a towel warmer will radiate
heat. The question is, though, does it give off enough heat? I've stayed
in hotels in Europe where the towel warmer was the heat source in the
bathroom. Most were a grid layout of tubes.

I see your point, but this site has both towel warmers and
radiators...

A radiator being shown he

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...tiorsindex.asp

and towel warmers be shown he

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...armersmain.asp

What Rich was installing in place of a floor mounted radiator, and
what he kept referring to as a radiator, looks more like the Myson
radiator than the Myson towel warmers.