Posted to alt.home.repair
lanman lanman is offline

Default kerosene heaters

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 21:58:50 GMT, "thehip"
wrote:

Hello all, Does anyone have any experience with the radiant kerosene
heaters available at Loews? I have had the larger 23000 BTU convection
heater for years and it works very well. I was wondering if the smaller
10000
BTU heater is good for a smaller room or if any one has one and waht their
thoughts are. Other kerosene heaters are getting harder to find in the
states.
Thanks for any info.

They are illegal in many areas due to the dangers of fire and
asphyxiation. I keep one on hand just for emergencies, but would not
use it on a regular basis in my home.

Plus, with kerosene costing around $3.00 per gallon, and a one gallon
fill lasting about 12 hours, I doubt there's much of a savings over an
electric space heater when heating one room. I believe it's not worth
the risk.

If you use one, be sure to keep the door open and a window cracked.