Posted to uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Digital out from a CD player with no digital out?

wrote:
Hi,

I've got a Technics SL-PD688 CD Changer and I would like to extract a
digital audio signal from it to feed into a external DAC. The DAC has
a digital coax input.

Has anyone done this with a CD player that does not come with a
digital out option? Do I just need to find the input to the internal
DAC and tap a signal off from there or is it more difficult than
that?

Easy, and if you've never done anything like this - well why not have a
go! Just watch the power electrics and avoid gazing at the laser...

Google will find you loads of links of people who have done just this ...

-- With a Car radio head unit
http://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20Audio/Digital%20Outs/digital_outpu-f.htm

-- With a portable CD player
http://www.bunniestudios.com/bunnie/proj/cdhack/cdhack.html

- With a NAD HiFI player
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~jcmarsha/hometheatre/522mod.shtml

Open the unit up, identify the main chips and look on the net for
datasheets for these. Unlike schematic diagrams, a lot of datasheets are
available for free download - and will show the first clue that a SP/DIF
interface may be possible.

--
Adrian C