Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default On-Topic But Potentially Questionable Content?

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...

First, even though I know there is no way I can convince myself I need
a multispindle drilling machine, I do really like your idea of a sort
of machine tool beta testing. I'd like to see more manufacturers do
this sort of thing.

Thanks. So far, not a single flame which is what I worried most about...

Second, reading your post just gave me an idea. Since you are tooling
up to build ER collet equipment, you might be interested to know there
is quite a market for ER spindle collet chucks for regular lathes,
such as the smaller machines like the Altas which can't use 5C
collets. Although you can buy these in many tool catalogs, it would
be an interesting thing to look at since you are already tooled up for
this particular operation. Sort of like the equipment that Little
Machine Shop sells, but with ER collet equipment specifically.
Just a wild idea
Michael

I like wild ideas... They usually distill into good ones.

Can you give me an example of a specific product already on the market?
Someone's part #, etc?

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/C...ets_13 2.html

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2532

http://www.warco-tools.com/productim...ments/P100.pdf

http://www.cartertools.com/beall.html

These are just a few of the ER collet, lathe chucks I found in a few
minutes searching.

Now, I dunno what the saturation point is for tooling like that, but
I'd have to say it would be tough to compete with the import stuff on
price, and I figure if there were enough guys out there willing to put
up there money for quality, the likes of Schaublin, would still be
selling a fair number of tools.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I dunno what features might be
offered that would make a new chuck into an outstanding reason to buy
it, rather than one of the others available.

Could, maybe, be a time filler, kinda project, though, to build just
the basic chuck body to fit the various common smaller lathes. Tough to
guess what the market potential is, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones