Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Mysterious False Alarms

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:15:26 -0700, Ron wrote:

Some charitable organization did some repair work on our house and in
the process, put up smoke alarms-- everywhere. Now for some unknown
reason, and for no apparent cause, one of those bloody smoke alarms
start going beep-- beep -- beep (long pause) beep-- beep-- beep-- beep
(long psuse) beep-- beep....

It's like a psychotic game of hide and go seek: I go running around
the house trying to find out which of those electronic *******s is
driving the family crazy with the noise, but whichever the device is,
it stops and may not make any noise for another long stretch of time.
Since there is no smoke, no fire, there shouldn't be any reason for
smoke alarms to be doing that right? Has anyone else had this kind of
problem? Have any solutions for this kind of bizarre problem?

Ron

Don't know if it is true, but my neighbor said that his smoke detector
kept going off so they removed it to get it repaired. ?? And while
it was out the clock in the stove started a fire that burned out their
whole kitchen and some more, plus I suppose the water. I know the
fire happened.

It may have been smouldering for weeks.

Also, my detectors are old, but they start beeping every couple days,
and beep more often as time goes off. It took 9 months or a year to
go to the point where it beeped every second and that stage stopped
after about 2 days. 6 months into the 9 months or year, I made some
smoke doing something and the smoke detector went off as if the
battery was fine.