Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default Grinding down ceramic tile

On Oct 1, 6:19 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
charlie wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi,

A contractor built these very unattractive cubby holes in our
bathroom wall so we came with this brilliant idea to have custom
made hammered copper inserts and had those made in Mexico at a
considerable cost. Of course, they were made larger than the specs
and they do not fit. I can see the picture here.

http://freeboundaries.com/inserts.jpg

My first reaction is to grind the tile down a little bid around the
edges (only the edges of pieces facing the viewer) and I think that
might just get them in there.

Is there a tool that would do it for me "in place"? I do recall
drilling 1/4" holes in these tiles and that taking me about an hour
per hole so I'm apprehensive about the strength of the material. So
I'm open to ideas!

Thank you very much in advance,

Aaron Fude.

you can get a 4" side grinder that will do it with either a dry
diamond blade or a grinding blade.

And if that is too big you can get mini diamond wheels for Dremel
tools.
About 1 1/4 diameter. You could use a sanding block with coarse
silicon carbide paper too. Power tool would be faster and messier.
You can also get tile cutting blades for saber saws.

Hi,

Thanks for advice. Would you be able to send me a link to the mini
diamond wheels that you are talking about. I'm not sure if the guys at
home depot would know what you are talking about.

Thanks again,

Aaron