Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Roofing question

"RicodJour" wrote
I'm not sure I follow your question. Whether you're talking about a
metal roof or plywood sheathing with shingles, the sheets have to stop
at the hip rafter. Let the sheathing hang long over the hip rafter
and cut off the excess. This might help you with the math on the hip
rafter layout: http://www.blocklayer.com/Roof/RoofEng.aspx

This will be all metal. The posts 3x3 inch, the purlins 8", and the sheets
will be metal.

If I am envisioning this right, I can build the framework, making sure that
the peak heights are the same all around, and ditto on the bottom purlin.
In this case, the metal component is called a purlin although it is not the
same as the carpenter's equivalent where a purlin joins across joists,
usually horizontally. Once the frame is up and right, I would just have to
deck it out, trimming each sheet along the hip, and then put on a hip
flashing.

I was just wondering, as the projections are not the same if there would be
a problem on the hip.

Steve