Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing question

I am going to make an awning. I have built a lot of carports in the past,
as well as repaired them. But, they were all flat, with no hips.

Here's what I want to make. A 32' long by 14' out awning. Then 90 degrees
to a 18' long 16'3" out awning. What I am concerned is the area that will
connect the two that will require a hip, since the projections are not the
same..

The eave height will be level all around. The peak height will be the same
all around.

I have laid out a MONGO frame with 3 x 3 x .120" posts, with 14 ga. 6" C
channel to support it.

Does the sheeting just die as it goes into the hip? IOW, can I just do the
32 x 14 foot section, the 18 x 16'3" section, put a hip, and then lay and
trim the sheeting from the eave to the hip and trim off the sheets as they
hit the hip? Then put a formed piece of flashing all along the hip?

I will finish the eaves with a gutter assembly.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:20 am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I follow your question. Whether you're talking about a
metal roof or plywood sheathing with shingles, the sheets have to stop
at the hip rafter. Let the sheathing hang long over the hip rafter
and cut off the excess. This might help you with the math on the hip
rafter layout: http://www.blocklayer.com/Roof/RoofEng.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote
I'm not sure I follow your question. Whether you're talking about a
metal roof or plywood sheathing with shingles, the sheets have to stop
at the hip rafter. Let the sheathing hang long over the hip rafter
and cut off the excess. This might help you with the math on the hip
rafter layout: http://www.blocklayer.com/Roof/RoofEng.aspx

This will be all metal. The posts 3x3 inch, the purlins 8", and the sheets
will be metal.

If I am envisioning this right, I can build the framework, making sure that
the peak heights are the same all around, and ditto on the bottom purlin.
In this case, the metal component is called a purlin although it is not the
same as the carpenter's equivalent where a purlin joins across joists,
usually horizontally. Once the frame is up and right, I would just have to
deck it out, trimming each sheet along the hip, and then put on a hip
flashing.

I was just wondering, as the projections are not the same if there would be
a problem on the hip.

Steve

Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:45 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:42 PM
re-roofing question al Home Repair 2 July 2nd 06 06:27 AM
roofing question Sligo Home Repair 2 January 26th 05 11:50 PM
Roofing Question John Willis Home Repair 5 February 19th 04 02:30 AM