Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Using #14 wire on a 20A if plugged in

I DO NOT consider my #14 romex plug-in to be a fire hazzard, or I
would not have done it. My animals are my best friends, so I surely
wont risk their lives. I just wanted to know the code regulations.
Actually, that small motor fan could be safely plugged into a #16 or
#18 extension cord, but I would not use that in a barn.

I would however check that the fan motor itself has some thermal
protection so that it fails in a safe way should the blades get jammed
or the bearings seize up etc..., or you may want to wire in a smaller
3 Amp fuse just for that purpose...

Mark