Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Using #14 wire on a 20A if plugged in

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Maybe that's why the Brits have (had) a pair of small sized replaceable
cartridge fuses built into the plugs on the end of every appliance's
cord, sized to suit the load?

Or at least they did the last time I looked, maybe 20 years ago. Do they
still use that system?

IIRC they ran quite heavy conductors from the power source to groups of
chained outlets and relied on the fuses built into the plugs to keep
things safe. I think they called that a "ring main" system?

Sometimes hard to imagine we speak the same language (more or less).

The UK does have "ring" circuits with both ends connected to the same
breaker. The rating is 32A (230V) and plugs do have fuses in them (at
32A, a good idea). The wire is not rated for 32A but each outlet is
supplied from 2 directions.

I agree that UL and the NEC would not be happy with putting a plug on
Romex and calling it a power cord.

--
bud--