Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Horrible smell in Downstairs bathroom

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:33:06 -0700, chattydani22
wrote:

Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

DID you have beans for dinner last night?

If you have a sink, tub, or other drain that has not been used, the
trap is empty and sewer gasses are coming into the house. You must
maintain water in all traps.

You said the toilet leaks. Where is the leak, if it's the wax ring on
the floor, it only takes a small wind outside to push sewer gasses
under that wax ring and into the house. Assuming the leak is just the
wax ring, why dont you just replace it. It's not that difficult and
then you can use the toilet. Even if the toilet is cracked, they are
not all that costly if you just buy a cheap one, or find a good used
one.