Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Horrible smell in Downstairs bathroom

Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chattydani22" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Have the in-laws been visiting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chattydani22" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Turds

Dump some water down the toilet also as the trap is dried out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/30/2007 6:17 PM Meat Plow said the following:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:50:23 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"chattydani22" wrote in message
ups.com...

Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Turds

Dump some water down the toilet also as the trap is dried out.

Toilets have a trap? Is this something new?

The trap is built into the toilet, not the waste line.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:33:06 -0700, chattydani22 wrote:

Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

If there is a tub, the trap may have dried out. I don't use my tub opting
to shower in the basement and I have to run water in the tub occasionally
to refill the trap.

I just put duct tape over a shower I never use. Alternately RV antifreeze

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 6:27 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Meat Plow" wrote in message

... On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:33:06 -0700, chattydani22 wrote:

Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

If there is a tub, the trap may have dried out. I don't use my tub opting
to shower in the basement and I have to run water in the tub occasionally
to refill the trap.

I just put duct tape over a shower I never use. Alternately RV antifreeze

If all ideas of dry traps fail the toilet wax ring is bad

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may have a floor drain with a dry trap.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"chattydani22" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there
had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as
we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the
sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Posted to alt.home.repair

chattydani22 wrote:
Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Run some water in the shower. The trap has dried out.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Dump some water down the toilet also as the trap is dried out.

Toilets have a trap? Is this something new?

Yes, just take a look in it. See the water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

DID you have beans for dinner last night?

If you have a sink, tub, or other drain that has not been used, the
trap is empty and sewer gasses are coming into the house. You must
maintain water in all traps.

You said the toilet leaks. Where is the leak, if it's the wax ring on
the floor, it only takes a small wind outside to push sewer gasses
under that wax ring and into the house. Assuming the leak is just the
wax ring, why dont you just replace it. It's not that difficult and
then you can use the toilet. Even if the toilet is cracked, they are
not all that costly if you just buy a cheap one, or find a good used
one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 4:33 pm, chattydani22 wrote:
Today I went downstairs and noticed that the bathroom down there had a
horrible smell. Like a sewage smell. We dont use the bathroom as we
noticed a year ago that the toliet leaked and the basment isn't
finished. We have been dumping the dehumidifer water down the sink
drain.
What could be causing this smell????

Are you on an ejector pump (overhead sewer) or is your main line below
the basement floor level? If your on an ejector and you rarely use
the basement drains, make sure the pump pit did not fill up due to
pump failure. If there is water in toilet then that should be ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Dump some water down the toilet also as the trap is dried out.

Which brings to mind a question. There was a rarely used building with
bathrooms & on a sewer system. When we went in there after months of
unuse, the commodes were empty & smelling. With the first flush there
was always a moderate "boom". Never did figure out why it did that.
Any ideas?

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 1, 7:04 pm, Red wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Dump some water down the toilet also as the trap is dried out.

Which brings to mind a question. There was a rarely used building with
bathrooms & on a sewer system. When we went in there after months of
unuse, the commodes were empty & smelling. With the first flush there
was always a moderate "boom". Never did figure out why it did that.
Any ideas?

Red

Air trieing to get out of the pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 01:47:04 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Dump some water down the toilet also as the trap is dried out.

Toilets have a trap? Is this something new?

Yes, just take a look in it. See the water?

External trap as I perceived the other poster was alluding.

The other poster was me. I was not alluding, I was stating a fact. No
water, you get sewer stink. I probably should have mentioned to check all
traps, not just the toilet.

Mildew smell in bathroom John UK diy 3 April 22nd 07 08:19 PM
Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom? HomeDecoy Home Repair 8 March 8th 07 08:58 PM
bathroom s-tty smell! why, how can i get rid of it :( failedaircare-man Home Repair 13 July 31st 06 07:17 PM
foul smell in bathroom ianw UK diy 6 July 23rd 06 03:41 PM
smell in bathroom due to plumbing Steven Campbell UK diy 2 August 23rd 05 09:15 PM