Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Using #14 wire on a 20A if plugged in

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:19:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

On Oct 1, 6:47?am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , wrote:

Here's a puzzler......

I put a permanent wall fan in my barn at the eaves. [...] I did not hard wire
to the outlet, I just put a grounded plug on the end of the romex and
plugged it in to the outlet.[...]
My question is whether using #14 wires is up to code, when it's not
hard wired?

Yes. The Code basically stops at the receptacle. (This is an
oversimplification, but it gets the point across.)

--
Regards,

the fire hazard is the same,,,,,,,,,,, bard fires are nasty..

really all extension cords and plugs should be fused for safety at the
maximum current capacity of the wire and device. I am amazed that
hasnt been made a law

if you like your current setup why not add a dedicated fuse or breaker
just for this item?

Mybe that's why the Brits have (had) a pair of small sized replaceable
cartridge fuses built into the plugs on the end of every appliance's
cord, sized to suit the load?

Or at least they did the last time I looked, maybe 20 years ago. Do they
still use that system?

IIRC they ran quite heavy conductors from the power source to groups of
chained outlets and relied on the fuses built into the plugs to keep
things safe. I think they called that a "ring main" system?

Jeff

Kind of like those xmas light sets, huh?