Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default What is NEC Code For This Grounding Scheme ?

In article . com, w_tom wrote:
Doug - why is that underground tank not connected to breaker box?

Because the installer was listening to you, instead of reading the Code.

It completely meets paragraph seven as an' earthing electrode. Using
your reasoning, then that underground tank must be connected to
breaker box.

No, not using "my reasoning" -- using the plain language of the Code.

But nothing is using the tank as an electrode.

Then that's a Code violation.

Therefore it does not exist - is not 'present' - as an earthing
electrode.

You have a peculiar understanding of "present".

It exists only as a tank even though it 'could' become an
earthing electrode according to code. Please learn what that
paragraph really says.

I'm perfectly well aware of what that paragraph says, but it appears that you
are not. The Code says, simply, that if the items are present, then they must
be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system.

If we drive a ground rod into earth and don't connect anything to
it, then according to Doug Miller's interpretation, we must connect
that rod to breaker box with a 6 AWG wire. Obviously not. It 'could'
be an earthing electrode. But it is not because nothing else is using
it for earthing. Therefore - and in direct contradiction to what Doug
has posted - we need not connect it to the breaker box.

What part of 250.50 "ALL ... that are present ... SHALL BE BONDED TOGETHER..."
are you having such a hard time understanding?

The phrase is "that is present". That underground tank and that
isolated ground rod are not 'present' because nothing is using it as
an earthing electrode.

What, you mean they're not there?

What part of 250.50 "ALL ... that are present ... SHALL BE BONDED TOGETHER..."
are you having such a hard time understanding?

If we earth an overhead TV antenna (as required by code), then that
ground rod must also connects to the earthing system being used by AC
breaker box. Why? That TV antenna ground rod is 'present'. It now
exists as an earthing electrode and therefore must be interconnected
to other earth grounds.

What part of 250.50 "ALL ... that are present ... SHALL BE BONDED TOGETHER..."
are you having such a hard time understanding?

Code only requires John Ross to have one earthing electrode.
Minimum to meet that requirement is one earth ground rod located and
connected as short as practicable to breaker box. Being earthed by a
wire as short as possible is also a code requirement. For other
reasons, we want that wire to be 'less than 10 feet' and routed
separated from other wires. That one earth ground then meets a
minimum code requirement for earthing.

What part of 250.50 "ALL ... that are present ... SHALL BE BONDED TOGETHER..."
are you having such a hard time understanding?

If John Ross is using some other earth ground for telephone or cable
TV, then that earthing electrode is 'present' - must also connect to
the breaker box. Code also says those other utilities must connect
less than 20 feet to the earth ground. Just another reason why all
incoming utilities should enter at a common service entrance - since
all must use the same earthing 'system'.

What part of 250.50 "ALL ... that are present ... SHALL BE BONDED TOGETHER..."
are you having such a hard time understanding?

Doug - please learn that what code paragraph says.

Tom - please don't attempt to lecture me on what the Code says, when you
clearly don't understand it yourself.

You keep quoting
it and do not understand what it is saying.

You keep *not* quoting it, and *not* understanding it.

Accroding to you, then
every underground tank also must be connected by 6 AWG wire to the
breaker box.

What part of 250.50 "ALL ... that are present ... SHALL BE BONDED TOGETHER..."
are you having such a hard time understanding?

Any steel plate buried in earth must be connected.

As I've already pointed out to you, this is not true.

Obviously that is not true. Your interpretation obviously is in
error.

--
Regards,