Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default What is NEC Code For This Grounding Scheme ?

In article .com, John Ross wrote:

Doug, I understand what you are saying about current code. My point
was that in 1960 they didn't care where on the pipe it was located. As
it is now, it IS the ground for the house, but probably nowhere near 5
feet from entrance.

Yes, but new work needs to be done to current code. Check with your local
electrical inspection authority to be sure -- but I imagine they'll construe
that to require you to bond the water pipe within 5' of the entrance.

My understanding is that rule was simply because of worry of plastic
pipes being used in repairs etc. So what I was saying was that IF they
don't require the current code for that if installing a ground rod, I
still will have a ground to earth through the pipes since it is still
all metal. Someone said there were "other" reasons to do with stray
currents in the first 5 feet etc. and you ridiculed him.

Nope, not me. That was someone else. Better go back and check that again.

So I assume
that code or no code, just adding a ground rod won't magically make my
present pipe earth ground disappear. Agree?

Quite true. Just make sure that they *are* bonded together -- preferably
within 5' of where the pipe enters the building -- to make sure that they are
at the same potential.

--
Regards,