Posted to alt.home.repair
runsrealfast runsrealfast is offline

Default What to secure shingles with

On Sep 28, 6:22 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
clot wrote:
dicko wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:29:38 -0700, runsrealfast
wrote:

I'm sure I could get someone at HD or Lowes to tell me this but, what
would be used to secure shingles to the roof of a house. I have one
or two to replace before winter hits. They are just your typical
shingles that you find everywhere.

Sorry not a contractor so I don't know the technical names of the
shingles.

John

A 3-tab shingle is typically held in place with 8 nails, 2 nails above
each crack separating the tabs, 2 on each edge of the shingle, all in
a row, and then another 4 nails from the row immediately above it. To
remove the bad shingle you have to pop the nails for the shingle
itself and then the nails for the row above it. The shingle should
slide right out. That's assuming the tar strip holding the rows
together has already been broken when removing the nails.

That means you have to bend up the row immediately above the shingle
being replaced and the row above that to remove and later pound in the
nails. This is tricky because old shingles are often very brittle and
you end up breaking the shingles you want to remain in place. I just
went thorugh this with my house and ended up replacing far more than
just the one bad shingle.

You'll need a very fine prybar to get under the nail heads to pop them
out. What works for me is an old flat screwdriver (my general-purpose
do-anything-but-dont-use-to-drive-screws screwdriver) that I hook
under the nail head and pry up on.

removing the nails also leaves holes in the remaining shingles so
you'll need a tube of roofing tar to seal the holes and also to dab
under the shingles to kind of glue them back down.

I'm surfing from the UK.

Words change their meaning travelling across The Pond. I guess "roof
shingles" now covers most types of "tiles". I've sadly deleted the start
to this thread and so do not know whether the OP referred to a specific
type of shingle.

I think you are referring to a concrete shingle, (but I could easily be
wrong!) - how wide are these? In the UK we use just two nails to clip
them to the top of the batten - not eight. Our's are about 9 to 12" wide.

Once upon a time, all our roofing material used to come from N Wales -
slate, which made for a pleasing appearance. Sadly, today most are
concrete and bespoke homes are rooved with slate from China.

I think he's actually referring to asphalt shingles which are common in
many parts of the US. I don't know if that's also what the OP was
referring to or not.

We used to have slate roofs here as well; my grandparents' house (circa
1880) and barn had very pretty slate roofs. Sheetmetal roofs with
raised seams, both steel and copper, are common in very wind-prone areas
(enameled steel seems to be common in rural PA but some more upscale
houses like to use copper,) but asphalt is by far the most common over
here, and also the most likely to have bad shingles that need replacing
(they really only last 20-30 years at best.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yeah its the typical asphalt shingles.