Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing related advice needed

wrote in message
..
I recently relocated a laundry room to the basement from the main
floor with the help of the group (thank you).

You must be young. When you get older you'll think you made a dumb move with
all the steps to carry laundry.

Before proceeding to basically relocating what is there, I
thought I'd better find out if it is correct in the first place!

Here is a diagram at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/plumb.jpg

Looks workable

2. To relocate the kitchen sink, the water pipes and drain are smack
dab behind a pile of air conditioning/forced air heating venting in
the basement. Rather than try to adjust copper piping back there, I
saw recently on a home show that people are using flexible plastic
piping for water these days? If so, can it be mated to existing
copper, is it 'durable' , and do they happen to make some flex
equivalent for drain piping? Does anyone have any experieince good or
bad with it?

It is PEX. Many homes are now being build with it. PEX had been around for
many years and is used extensivly in Europe. Makes your siduation much
easier. I don't know of any drain lines though. In my las house, I used a
section of rubber hose to replace a tricky section and it lasted for many
years.

3. The microwave is an over-the-stove type that acts a vent for an
electric stove beneath it. It has to be moved a few feet over and of
course that effects the venting. To my great dismay, I found out that
the venting just drops down between the walls and vents into the
basement. To me, this seems a no-no.

Yes, it should go outside. Is that possible?

So - I also assume that it would not be a good idea to vent it into
the vent stack,

That would be illegal too