Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Hughes Bob Hughes is offline

Default Propane Generator and Transfer Switch

"John" wrote in :

I'm considering having a 16 kw generator installed and I'd like to
know what to expect when the generator and transfer switch is
installed and hooked up. For example to what is the main power coming
from the transfer switch hooked up into my breaker panel? What
happens to the breakers of the different circuits that selected for
emergency operation. Do I give up any of the current open breaker
spots I have. The Guardian unit I am looking at says it operates at 76
decibels. I don't know what equivalent noise level that is. At the
moment I am planning to have it placed directly on the other side of
the playroom wall as that is where the main breaker panel is located.
I also have a suitable spot about 20 feet away from the house if the
noise would be a problem. I'd like to be able to observe the process
with some sort of understanding. Thanks for any input or other
comments about the actual hooking up.

I just installed a 12 kw B&S generator at our cottage. It has a 60 amp
circuit breaker and has ample power for our needs. Even runs a couple of
base board heaters. In Canada you need a seperate house entry switch to
turn off the Hydro.

We have a 200 amp service & therefor required a 200 amp transfer switch. It
handles the whole cottage. It didn't make sense to me to put in a seperate
fuse panel just for the generator, so we switch the whole thing.

hydro comes into house entry switch and then goes to transfer switch
generator goes to transfer switch
output of transfer switch runs to main breaker panel

We use LP to run it and it starts automatically. (We have a lot of power
outages)

76 db is very noisy. Your neighbours will love you. Ours is 65 db at 20 ft
I suggest you look for another brand. This is what I bought.
http://www.homegeneratorsystems.com/...pecs.cfm#specs

Bob