Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Propane Generator and Transfer Switch

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 03:52:46 GMT, "Smarty" wrote
Re Propane Generator and Transfer Switch:

The noise level of the Generac is not terribly loud, but similar to a lawn
mower / tractor of comparable capacity when running full load. The weekly
test mode for 12 minutes of run time runs unloaded at a lower noise level.
To those of us who have subsequently lived with the generator during an
outage, the sound of the generator is sweet music. It is the silence which
occurs when it is not running but needed that I would call deafening! I
would advise to simply put the generator away from the major sleeping areas
of the house, and non fret about it.

Good points and good advice. I might also suggest that if possible
build a small shed for the generator. The shed will lower the noise
level considerably. Note that I wrote "build". A small commercial shed
won't do unless you make a lot of modifications for ventilation.

When I installed my generator ( a loud cheap brand ) 15-years ago I
designed/built a small shed as it was cheaper and easier than having
to modify a commercial model. It works well to this day.