Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default constructive critic on my plcc adapter PCB

In article ,
"robb" wrote:

Looking for constructive criticism on my plcc/dip adapter ?

For a given board, the copper on it is "free". Plus, the less copper you
are etching off, the faster it gets done. On the "green side" you might
want to look at any pins that are at ground potential, and connect those
to a flood covering most of the board area, rather than etching off most
of the board area. Power also works, and on the red side you might do
ground some places, power other places, to fill in. Often a good idea to
toss in a few capacitors between power and ground while you are at it.

I much prefer oval pads .vs. round - easier to solder to with dip pins.
Other than a rectangular pin 1, I prefer rounded (or 45 degree) corners
on all pads and traces. Anyplace where a fatter trace fits fine, I use a
fatter trace (without cutting trace-to-trace spacing down to a fussy and
hard to work with number).

Some corner of the etch should have a dot or angle mark to tell you how
the PLCC is supposed to mount - either in the space under it, or outside
of it. Same idea and reason as the "different pin 1 convention" you are
following for DIPs - anything that costs essentially nothing and helps
you put it together correctly is a good thing.

If you move the vias out as others suggest, you might fill the middle
under the PLCC - but leave a generous gap to avoid problems with the
contact pads.