Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Mysterious False Alarms

On Sep 28, 3:52 pm, RickH wrote:
On Sep 28, 4:15 pm, Ron wrote:

Some charitable organization did some repair work on our house and in
the process, put up smoke alarms-- everywhere. Now for some unknown
reason, and for no apparent cause, one of those bloody smoke alarms
start going beep-- beep -- beep (long pause) beep-- beep-- beep-- beep
(long psuse) beep-- beep....

It's like a psychotic game of hide and go seek: I go running around
the house trying to find out which of those electronic *******s is
driving the family crazy with the noise, but whichever the device is,
it stops and may not make any noise for another long stretch of time.
Since there is no smoke, no fire, there shouldn't be any reason for
smoke alarms to be doing that right? Has anyone else had this kind of
problem? Have any solutions for this kind of bizarre problem?

Ron

It's not bizarre, the battery check is failing in one of the units,
smoke det. batteries should be changed twice yearly when you change
your clocks for daylight time. Our fire dept gives away free
batteries (first come first served) twice a year.

It gets pretty bizarre when you can never get close to the one that's
doing the eratic beeping. Two seconds before I think I know which one
is doing it, the thing stops! I think it's in the kitchen, but I took
that one down-- it's a bad place for an alarm when you cook smokey
Jimmy Dean sausage. But I can never track the culprit down. I think
there's a hidden alarm somewhere, but if so, it's a very well hidden
beastie. I've seen some truly bizarre and unusual things before that
would make the X-Files seem like a fairy tale, but nothing matches
this to date.

Ron