Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default What to secure shingles with

On Sep 28, 4:25 pm, dicko wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:29:38 -0700, runsrealfast

wrote:
I'm sure I could get someone at HD or Lowes to tell me this but, what
would be used to secure shingles to the roof of a house. I have one or
two to replace before winter hits. They are just your typical shingles
that you find everywhere.

Sorry not a contractor so I don't know the technical names of the
shingles.

John

A 3-tab shingle is typically held in place with 8 nails, 2 nails above
each crack separating the tabs, 2 on each edge of the shingle, all in
a row, and then another 4 nails from the row immediately above it.

snip
-dickm

Nit picking here but it is poorly worded. I had to read it a couple
times and really think about the meaning (so I think slowly these
days). Better would be:

Each is held in place by 8 nails. 4 when nailing each shingle - one on
each edge, one above each cutout (slit) and the 4 from the next row
up.

Harry K