Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony Tony is offline

Default Pulley Hub Types

I think the interchangable bushing type pulleys are so the power
transmission shops don't have to carry thousands of pulleys for every
diameter shaft size. They just need one type of pulley and an assortment of
bushings.

Tony

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
I'm redoing the drive in my lathe and the final belt drive is of the
timing belt type, 1/2 pitch, 1-1/2 wide. Anyway I need to buy a new motor
pulley and they are available three ways; plain bore, you bore and broach
keyway to needed size, QD style where you buy a hub that fits the shaft
and the pulley, and 'taper lock', pretty much like 'QD' but with different
hub and pulley taper dimensions.

As the lathe is out of commission that makes the interchangeable hub
styles look more attractive. Is there any particular advantage in favor
of 'QD' or taper lock? I'm not particularly well versed in power
transmission but it seems the 'QD' is somewhat more common and is a couple
bucks cheaper than the taper lock style

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated

Regards
Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.