Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulley Hub Types

I'm redoing the drive in my lathe and the final belt drive is of the
timing belt type, 1/2 pitch, 1-1/2 wide. Anyway I need to buy a new
motor pulley and they are available three ways; plain bore, you bore and
broach keyway to needed size, QD style where you buy a hub that fits the
shaft and the pulley, and 'taper lock', pretty much like 'QD' but with
different hub and pulley taper dimensions.

As the lathe is out of commission that makes the interchangeable hub
styles look more attractive. Is there any particular advantage in favor
of 'QD' or taper lock? I'm not particularly well versed in power
transmission but it seems the 'QD' is somewhat more common and is a
couple bucks cheaper than the taper lock style

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated

Regards
Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:18:14 -0500, Paul wrote:

As the lathe is out of commission that makes the interchangeable hub
styles look more attractive. Is there any particular advantage in favor
of 'QD' or taper lock? I'm not particularly well versed in power
transmission but it seems the 'QD' is somewhat more common and is a
couple bucks cheaper than the taper lock style

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated

QD is a bit more flexible in mounting arrangement since you can get
bushings that have either thru or tapped holes for the draw bolts.
Taper-lock is more compact as the bushing is flush or recessed on the
sides of the pulley. I think the taper-lock looks better for the same
reason.

Because of the interference fit on the shaft, either is far superior
to a bored to size pulley, especially for reversing loads.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think the interchangable bushing type pulleys are so the power
transmission shops don't have to carry thousands of pulleys for every
diameter shaft size. They just need one type of pulley and an assortment of
bushings.

Tony

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

QD is a bit more flexible in mounting arrangement since you can get
bushings that have either thru or tapped holes for the draw bolts.
Taper-lock is more compact as the bushing is flush or recessed on the
sides of the pulley. I think the taper-lock looks better for the same
reason.

Because of the interference fit on the shaft, either is far superior
to a bored to size pulley, especially for reversing loads.

Ned

Thanks for the insight. I think I have located a free QD hub so it
looks like my decision is more or less made for me! Hopefully it will
all fit the motor shaft length.

Pulley blocks Aidan Karley UK diy 0 October 24th 06 11:48 AM
Pulley blocks somebody UK diy 0 October 24th 06 12:50 AM
Pulley blocks [email protected] UK diy 0 October 23rd 06 11:19 AM
Pulley question toolguy Woodworking 32 April 2nd 05 07:20 AM
Good Pulley Subw00er Woodworking 4 February 12th 04 05:09 AM