Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default On-Topic But Potentially Questionable Content?

According to Joe AutoDrill :

[ ... ]

I like wild ideas... They usually distill into good ones.

Can you give me an example of a specific product already on the market?
Someone's part #, etc?

Go to the MSC site and search for this string:

ETM collet chuck

and quite a few of the hits will be examples. It looks like the
illustrations are scrambled, because the one for MT-3 shank actually
shows what looks like 30-taper and 40-taper shanks instead.

I've seen a set (from an eBay auction) with a MT-3 shank, a full set of
collets, and the fancy wrench for opening and closing the collets in a
fitted wood case.

I've not been tempted for my lathe because it will handle 5C
collets with a lever style closer. But I *might* be tempted by a NTMB 40
taper for my Nichols mill, or NTMB 30 taper for my Bridgeport's
quick-change spindle. I've got some of the smaller ones which handle
the DA series collets.

And what I *don't* see anywhere are ER collet chucks with a
threaded back to fit on common lathe spindles directly. Perhaps a Morse
Taper for centering and a collar which matches the threaded spindle for
pulling it in without fitting a drawbar to the lathe.

I don't need it -- but others might. Let them speak here.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564