Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default What to secure shingles with

runsrealfast wrote:
I'm sure I could get someone at HD or Lowes to tell me this but, what
would be used to secure shingles to the roof of a house. I have one or
two to replace before winter hits. They are just your typical shingles
that you find everywhere.

Sorry not a contractor so I don't know the technical names of the
shingles.

John

As BigJake says, nails are the standard for attaching the tops of the
shingles, up under the flaps of the row above. The bottoms of the flaps
are held down by a heat-activated adhesive which will attach them pretty
securely on the first hot and sunny day. If you are in a season where
there aren't likely to be an really good days for melting adhesive then
several dabs of roofing cement under the flaps will do the job as soon
as you press them down. In those cases where there might be nail heads
exposed after a repair, and there should almost never be such except
around some types of flashing, a dab of cement over each head will
ensure a decent seal. Typically the cement is black and comes in
caulking compound tubes and is very cheap.

Oh, and when replacing shingles you may find that lifting the flaps on
the row above where you are working may cause cracks if the roof is old.
Great care is called for.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]