Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default What is NEC Code For This Grounding Scheme ?

John Ross wrote:

But as far as these wire sizes everyone is throwing around: is that
required or suggested? I hear this size 6 mentioned. Is that the code
from the rod to the panel or is that just suggested. Also, does that
change with the size of the service (this is 100 amp)? I think this
latest electrician said something about size 10 or 8.

Connecting ground rods minimum #6.

Services - depends on service conductors.
Generally 100A #6 is minimum used (can be #8 but the requirements on
installation are very restrictive).
200A service #4
#4 may be used instead of #6 because #6 also has some limitations on use
without 'protection'.

I never would have imagined trying to ground a receptacle would turn
into such an ordeal! And, like I said, not one of these electricians
know what I am talking about when I qquote the NEC codes you guys
mention. Scary...Had I not asked in here, I would have gone with that
one guy who had the isolated ground rod that made no sense now that it
was explained to me here.

It should be noted that comments are based on the National Electrical
Code. The NEC has authority only as adopted by entities that have
control over electrical installations - states, cities, ... The NEC is
the basis for the local code everywhere I know of, but can (and is)
modified by many jurisdictions. The inspector can also allow variances.
In your case, the jurisdiction or inspector allows connecting the added
receptacle ground wires anywhere on the water pipe while the NEC now
allows that connection only to the first 5 ft of the water pipe. [If the
wire from electric service to water pipe electrode is not in the first 5
ft, as was permitted in the past, it does not make sense to connect
added ground wires in the first 5 ft. And the added ground wires can
usually be more conveniently connected elsewhere in the electrode system.]

The NEC chapter on grounding is probably the most confusing of the
commonly used chapters.

--
bud--