Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Propane Generator and Transfer Switch

I'm considering having a 16 kw generator installed and I'd like to know what
to expect when the generator and transfer switch is installed and hooked
up. For example to what is the main power coming from the transfer switch
hooked up into my breaker panel? What happens to the breakers of the
different circuits that selected for emergency operation. Do I give up any
of the current open breaker spots I have. The Guardian unit I am looking at
says it operates at 76 decibels. I don't know what equivalent noise level
that is. At the moment I am planning to have it placed directly on the
other side of the playroom wall as that is where the main breaker panel is
located. I also have a suitable spot about 20 feet away from the house if
the noise would be a problem. I'd like to be able to observe the process
with some sort of understanding. Thanks for any input or other comments
about the actual hooking up.