Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can a rookie hope to be successful at......

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:57:44 -0000, Mike wrote:

Thanks for the info, Bob. There is plywood under the carpet, so I
have no concern using screws, though I'll consider a brad nailer like
you suggested. I'm leaning toward screws though, so I won't have to
worry about them eventually pulling out and squeaking again. There is

A generally good technique, probably good whenever one is nailing
something he doesn't plan to take apart, is to put the nails in at an
angle, and near to each other at opposite angles. I've never done a
floor, but using a floor as a possible example, while the floor, when
people walked on it, would go down and up and on one nail, pushing the
nail head up, the second nail would be at an angle to that travel and
would keep the floor from moving.

It won't be able to move on the second nail, because the first will
prevent it.

one bad spot near my wife's side of the bed and she will NOT try to
step around it. Grrrrrrr.

Mike