Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Can a rookie hope to be successful at......

"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:57:44 -0000, Mike wrote:

Thanks for the info, Bob. There is plywood under the carpet, so I
have no concern using screws, though I'll consider a brad nailer like
you suggested. I'm leaning toward screws though, so I won't have to
worry about them eventually pulling out and squeaking again. There is
one bad spot near my wife's side of the bed and she will NOT try to
step around it. Grrrrrrr.

Mike

The first screw goes into the floor :-))

Start there!

As to the carpet and the squeaks; and I forgot to mention, cut a small
(tiny) "X" in the carpet (bottom) to allow a screw past the carpet.
Screw down the plywood...

No brad nailer, whatsoever!

Nobody else said it, so I will- 'Ask this old house', a year or so back,
demonstrated break-away screws and a drilling jig designed for this exact
purpose. Didn't look like it would be absurdly expensive. Uses a standard
drill with a driver bit- the jig holds the screw square to the floor, and
the screw breaks off flush below carpet backer level when the threaded part
bottoms out. They claim it is bare-feet safe. Can't remember the company
name, but their web site probably has it- search on 'squeeky floors' or
something.

aem sends...