Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Mechanical Enginnering for Dummies - any suggestion on design making? Load ratings for common wood and steel materials like 2X4s etc

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:49:17 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

wrote in message
groups.com...
On Sep 28, 2:37 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Actually, I agree. I considered building a spaceframe sports car five
or
so
years ago, and I even got a simple FEA (Cadre) to analyze others'
designs.
(Many commercial frames suck in a big way when you analyze their
torsional
stiffness.) Then I got so caught up in studying and analyzing chassis
design
that I never built one. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

I also get caught up in studying and analyzing and often don't ever
get around to doing any actual building. The things that I design and
don't build always are perfect. The things I actually build often are
not prefect.

Yes, we should print that and hang it on our walls.

Indeed. I came to the realization several years ago that I wasn't
really a woodworker, I was merely an "enhanced tool collector". Ayup,
I'll work wood and metal and plastic on occasion, but I'm more of a
tool collector these days. sigh

That's not such a bad thing. It's better than collecting stamps.

'Course, that new Karcher/Honda pressure washer I bought netted me a
$2,200 job which I just finished today, so I'm using a lot of the
tools, too. 2k+ s/f of concrete cleaned, primed, and opaque-stained in
3 coats. She chose the first color (which turned out too light), then
a second color (which I called "50s Pink"), and then the final color,
one of the trim colors on their interior. It was juuust right. 300 s/f
x3. Then on to the front porch/walk, then on to the lower porch and
walkway, complete with 20 concrete steps & 4 landings.

And...you have the start of a new pressure-washer collection, doubtless the
first in your neighborhood.

--
Ed Huntress