Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Can a rookie hope to be successful at......

On Sep 27, 6:53 pm, BobK207 wrote:

Mike-

What's under the carpet? If its just plywood subfloor, I'd try my
16 gage brad nailer thru the carpet.
Crank up the pressure, get the nailer shoe down thru the pile & shoot
at an angle.

If its hardwood floor under the carpet, consider the possibility that
sometime in the future you might be ripping up that carpet & going
back to a nice hardwood floor. Would you rather have a few small
brad holes or big screw holes?

JMHO but I wouldn't ruin a hardwood floor by doing a cheap & dirty
fix.

In order for any fix to work you've got to get the fasteners into the
floor joists.

Ask around, maybe you can find a carpet guy who will reset your carpet
on the way home from work. Do it at his convenience and you'll
probably get it done for a reasonable cost.

cheers
Bob

Thanks for the info, Bob. There is plywood under the carpet, so I
have no concern using screws, though I'll consider a brad nailer like
you suggested. I'm leaning toward screws though, so I won't have to
worry about them eventually pulling out and squeaking again. There is
one bad spot near my wife's side of the bed and she will NOT try to
step around it. Grrrrrrr.

Mike